To connect a Heroku app to Cloudflare, you can follow these steps.
- Add Cloudflare’s name servers to your domain registrar.
- Wait for the changes to propagate.
- Under Cloudflare’s DNS tab, add a CNAME record with a name of
wwwand a value of
your appis the name of your app.
- Under the same tab, add a CNAME record with a name of
@and a value of
yourappis the name of your app.
- Set up https in the Crypto tab by setting your site to Full (Strict) mode.1
- Force all traffic to use https under the Page Rules tab. Create a rule that if a URL matches
http://*yoururl.com/*then “Always Use HTTPS”. Save and deploy.
After this, I usually wait a few hours and then everything works. If you have a better method, get in touch!
I’ve seen some people recommend Flexible mode, but I’ve run into occasional problems with it. ↩︎